Website FHI 360
Job Title: Assistant Technical Officer, Psychosocial Support Services
Under the Protection Sector, FHI 360 aims at improving the wellbeing of vulnerable individuals through increased access to psychosocial support services (PSS) and integrated Gender-Based Violence (GBV) support and Child Protection.
Under the overall supervision of the Field Coordinator and technical supervision of STO-CP &PSS, the ATO-PSS will daily ensure effective and timely implementation of all PSS activities in his/her assigned location. Key activities include individual, group counselling and case management, including referral to MHPSS services for vulnerable adult affected by the crisis to support them recover and regain their social functioning through sharing individual and group experiences to cope more effectively. S/he will also be responsible for organizing and overseeing implementation of adolescent mentorship classes through adolescent clubs and outdoor activities for adolescents and will support and supervise community volunteers to enable them to facilitate PSS activities at SHLS and community level.
In addition, the ATO-PSS will oversee implementation of community capacity building and community outreach activities to create supportive social connections at community level to foster stability.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Under the supervision of the Field coordinator and STO-CP&PSS, identify psychosocial needs among the vulnerable individuals in the assigned location.
- Provide individual and group-based counselling as well as case management to beneficiaries in need and identify appropriate referral pathways for cases that require MHPSS and do necessary follow ups to ensure their full recovery.
- Provide appropriate care for people with special needs ( older people, people with disabilities, etc.).
- Design and implement expressive activities (drama), traditional rituals, context-appropriate sport/recreational activities, psychoeducation, family interventions, healing education to help adult people build resilience and social connection.
- Oversee community awareness sessions and focus group discussions ( FGDs) on PSS related topics (social cohesion, self-care, stress management, problem solving, copping skills) and ensure all target groups can attend them without barriers.
- Engage with communities and stakeholders through outdoor activities using FHI 360 developed PSS sensitization guide to build strong support systems hence the community will be empowered to prioritize the psychosocial/emotional needs of community members.
- Facilitate training and provide regular coaching and mentoring to PSS community volunteers on PSS related topics to ensure quality PSS services, psychological first aid (PFA ) and appropriate referrals.
- Engage with community leaders, local government authorities and the Field Coordinator to select PSS community volunteers in compliance with related SOP.
- Provide training, weekly coaching, on-the-job training and daily mentoring to PSS community volunteers and perform all tasks related to their contracts in the volunteer management system (VMS).
- Monitor quality of message dissemination by community volunteers by conducting joint awareness sessions together with the community volunteers.
- Contribute to the development of appropriate IEC materials on Child Protection and PSS.
- Initiate creative facilitation skills to be used by community volunteers during dissemination of PSS related messages during indoor and outdoor activities.
- Work closely with ATO-CP to efficiently manage SHLS for CP and PSS activities.
- With the support of STO-CP&PSS, develop/update PSS referral pathways as per PSS service directory.
- Ensure PSS mainstreaming into Child Protection and GBV Subsectors as well as into other sectors namely Health, Nutrition, and WASH.
- Support the M&E team in conducting Post Distribution Monitoring for PSS integration kits.
- Conduct trend analysis for PSS concerns to inform community awareness messaging and
- Contribute to Sector and Multisectoral Needs Assessment and related reports in collaboration with ATOs-CP/GBV and M&E field team.
- In collaboration with the ATO-CP, compile weekly, and monthly activity reports and M& E database as required.
- Update monthly activity workplans to indicate accomplished tasks, any postponed tasks and tasks that remain unfinished.
- Always adhere to the child protection guiding principles and FHI 360 Child Safeguarding policy.
- Practice self-care
- Contribute to the development of concept notes and project proposals when necessary.
- Perform other duties as assigned by Supervisors.
Knowledge, skills, and attributes:
- Proven experience in setting up and managing SHLs in humanitarian context.
- Experience in facilitating training and mentorship of local communities to support child protection, GBV and PSS activities.
- Proven experience in individual and group-based counselling for adult people affected by a crisis.
- Vital knowledge of PSS and basic knowledge of MHPSS.
- Understanding Protection and child protection related coordination mechanisms.
- Excellent reporting skills.
- Strong communication and negotiation skill.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Understanding and commitment to child’s rights and child protection and GBV issues.
- Ability to live in the field with minimum access services.
- Excellent computer skills.
- Dynamic, pro-active, and self-motivated.
- Ability to meet tight deadlines and deliver high volumes of work with minimal supervision.
- Mandatory fluent in English and local languages – Hausa, Kanuri.
- Acts according to FHI360 values; uses ethical considerations to guide decisions.
- Solid understanding of Safeguarding and Accountability to Affected Populations (AAP).
- Flexible, respectful, willing to cooperate with and support project stakeholders including colleagues, beneficiaries, local community, and local leaders.
- Safeguarding of Children: FHI 360 is committed to protecting the dignity, rights and well-being of all children involved in its programs and activities around the world.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- BA/BS in social work, sociology, Social Sciences, Psychology, Mental Health, or a similar degree with at least 1- 3 years relevant experience in PSS programming.
- At least 1-3-year experience in counselling and PSS case management in humanitarian settings.
- Extensive knowledge of PSS/MHPSS in humanitarian context. .
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Proven experience in working with IDPs or refugees, returnees, and host communities.
- Familiarity with Nigerian law enforcement systems and NGOs and CBOs is highly desirable.
FHI 360 is committed to providing a safe environment for all employees, beneficiaries and anyone contracted by FHI 360. This Includes taking measures to protect vulnerable people from Sexual Exploitation and Abuse (SEA) by either FHI 360 employees or associated personnel. FHI 360 abides by child safeguarding principles. FHI 360’s Safeguarding Policies apply and flow out to all FHI 360 staff, board members, volunteers, and partner staff (subcontractors, consultants, vendors, and subrecipients), regardless of the funding mechanism or amount of contract, agreement, or purchase order.
This job posting summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
To apply for this job please visit fhi.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com.