Klasha is a technology company that builds cross-border commerce solutions for African consumers and international businesses wanting to sell into Africa. Our mission is to make online consumer goods and services more accessible to customers across Africa. We’ve built the KlashaCheckout which allows African consumers to transact online and across borders in local African currencies, alongside an entire toolkit of software products including: KlashaWire, KlashaCargo, Payment Links and the Klasha App. Our vision is for African consumers to have frictionless access to the goods they want, regardless of their geographic location, by transacting using African currencies and money methods.
Job Position: Legal and Compliance Manager
Job Location: Lagos
- We are seeking to hire an apt and dynamic candidate for the role of Legal and Compliance Manager who will, amongst other things, be responsible for the reviewing of all relevant statutory laws and regulations applicable to the company.
- The candidate will be responsible for providing legal, analytical and administrative management to the company, with a heavy focus on managing the company’s litigation portfolio, providing guidance and support to external counsel, administering corporate compliance, responding to regulatory inquiries, assisting with company audits, and reviewing policies and contracts.
- This position requires the ability to work independently, communicate complex concepts in concise terms, prioritise tasks, and work with various departments efficiently.
- Review all relevant statutory laws and regulations applicable to the company and ensure compliance
- Ensure that business activities are conducted in conformity with all applicable laws, regulations, internal policies and procedures
- Ensure that all regulatory permissions remain current and appropriate for business needs
- Ensure continual compliance with risk assessment of company practices together with the development of internal policies and procedures, and compliance training and protocols
- Serve as the liaison for all regulatory bodies as well as maintaining relationships with relevant legal bodies and trade associations
- Keep abreast of regulatory developments and industry initiatives, and advise management accordingly
- Liaise with third parties, together with the company’s management, that wish to understand the company’s control environment, compliance policies and procedures
- Provide reports with respect to regulatory requirements and developments
- Develop compliance checklists and prepare compliance reports, as and when due
- Inform the Internal Audit unit of any findings as regards non-compliance that may require investigation
- Ensuring compliance with best practices
- Participate in Business Process Re-engineering exercises to ensure controls therein
- Carry out review of SLA Manuals to ensure applicable regulatory laws are incorporated
- Liaise with auditors, external lawyers, tax advisers, bankers and shareholders
- Preparation of compliance documentation with relevant constitutive documents for statutory, legal, regulatory purposes
- Liaison with all the subsidiaries within the company’s group, service providers, external legal advisers, and government agencies
- Maintenance and review of legal agreements
- Ensuring the company meets its compliance obligations under relevant laws and the requirements of regulatory authorities
- Negotiation, drafting and implementation of the terms of agreements in all business contracts and agreements
- Responsible for providing legal support in controlling customer complaints to mitigate the risk of litigation
- Review all documentation that has legal implications for the company prior to signing and implementing
- Bachelor’s Degree in Law, LLM (an advantage)
- A minimum of 5 years experience and at least 3 years compliance experience preferably within the financial services environment. Insurance industry experience preferable.
- Technology savvy
- High level of determination and tenacity
- Good understanding of compliance activities in financial services
- Experience of developing and managing compliance monitoring programmes
- Articulate with effective communication skills and the ability to communicate with individuals both internal and external to the company (lawyers, regulators, auditors) at all levels
- Fully conversant with NAICOM, SEC, NSE, CAC, NFIU, IFRS, and other regulatory directives and guidelines.
- All the latest technology you need to do your role.
- Private health insurance.
- Headspace and Spill membership.
- Budget for French language classes.
- One-time home office set-up allowance.
- Hybrid; remote + office hours and flexible working conditions.
- Access to Klasha Sessions development training courses.
- Diesel and fuel allowance for remote working.
- Work-from-anywhere weeks; Work from anywhere for three weeks in a year.
- Paid birthday day off.
- Team building events.
- Paid parental leave.
To apply for this job please visit klasha.bamboohr.com.