Bitwarden promotes better internet security and safety with an open source password management solution for individuals, teams, and business organizations.
As Engineering Manager at Bitwarden you will lead the software development efforts that build the future of the Bitwarden product across mobile, web and server components while working with a great team and amazing open source community. We’re looking for someone who can help our team grow confidently by evaluating and identifying demands of future roadmap and product delivery needs against resources, capacity and velocity of the development team as well as facilitate career growth for direct reports to help meet that demand and foster professional development. You will own the software development process and contribute directly to the culture of quality within Bitwarden through process improvements, departmental outreach, and mentoring. This person will hire for and directly manage a cross-functional team of software engineers focused on support, web, desktop, mobile, server, and integration development. This person will help secure cross-department resources, manage trade-offs for delivery, keep stakeholders accountable, meet deadlines, communicate at the executive level on project status and risk, and measure team impact and needs.
This is an all-remote team with team members working around the world.
- Hire and develop our team of cross-functional Software Engineers
- Set and report on measurable goals and objectives for the team
- Set weekly or daily priorities for the development team and individual team members
- With feedback from the team, leadership and external stakeholders, own the development process, procedures and decision support for product development and delivery
- Evaluate, recommend, and implement development tools to help facilitate team success
- Provide a point of technical escalation and knowledge to help facilitate and drive the resolution of issues and technical or administrative hurdles the team may encounter
- Facilitate and encourage collaboration through team meetings or other communication channels as necessary, as well as conduct team-building activities
- Report on team progress, status and roadblocks to management from the development lens
- Advocate for and on behalf of the development team and the construction and delivery of Bitwarden’s product, process and organization
- Conduct one-on-one meetings with direct reports to work on issues, provide and receive feedback and discuss individual professional development goals and opportunities
- Perform annual or semi-annual performance reviews when required
- Participate in code reviews, learning and spreading technical knowledge
- Actively participate in backlog grooming, planning and delivery activities
- Become an expert and authority on the entire Bitwarden product, including: backend infrastructure, APIs, database, web app, mobile apps, browser extensions, desktop apps, and more
What we are looking for
- Leadership skills:
- Ability to inspire and provide vision direction
- Experience building and growing successful teams
- Management or team lead experience from a previous technical position
- Propensity towards leadership and mentoring
- Interpersonal skills:
- Ability to form good relationships with other leaders in the company
- A strong sense of empathy and the ability to advocate for others
- Collaborative and adaptable mindset
- Openness and authenticity combined with excellent communication skills
- Analytical skills:
- Strength in evaluating the success of Bitwarden in reaching its goals and ensuring each strategic goal is measurable
- Excellent problem-solving skills – you might not know all the answers, but you know how to find and communicate the solution
- Proficiency using source control such as Git, SVN, Subversion, TFS, etc.
- Excitement and enthusiasm for helping customers solve security and password challenges
- Zeal for learning and desire to develop yours, your peers’, and your team’s skills
- User of Bitwarden
- Startup experience
- Open source experience
- Hands-on software development experience
- Experience leading cross-functional, multi-discipline teams
What to expect from the interview process
Selected candidates will be invited to schedule a 30 minute screening call and then progress through the following stages:
- Interview with the VP of Engineering
- Interview/s with team members
- Interview with CTO
- Interview with CEO
Final candidates will be required to authorize a background check.
A few reasons to work with us
- Our user community loves us and we love them. Come to work each day with a sense of
- purpose as we bring a more secure internet experience to everyone from our friends and family to the world’s largest organizations.
- Become an expert. You’ll get immersed in the prominent technology markets of security and open source software.
- We are dedicated to building an incredible team. Work remotely with motivated and innovative team members and take part in productive and fun meetups.
- Learn and grow. Take on new challenges with the support of your team, and join our #growth-club to continue personal and professional development.
We recognize and understand that people come with a wealth of experience and talent beyond just the technical requirements of a job. If you don’t meet 100% of the qualifications for the position, you should still consider applying. Diversity of experience and skills combined with passion is a key to innovation and excellence; therefore, we encourage people from all backgrounds to apply. Please let us know if you require accommodations during the interview process.
To apply for this job please click on -> bitwarden.com.