Engineering Manager – Public Cloud, Python, Golang
As an engineering manager at Canonical your primary responsibility is to the people you support: ensuring that they are growing as engineers, doing valuable work, and generally having a great time at Canonical. As a lead for strong engineers, technical leadership and a solid background in software development is a must, so that you’re able to challenge and grow your team members. You will have the opportunity to influence the culture, facilitate technical delivery, and work with your team on strategy and execution.
We work in Python and Golang, and expect engineering managers to be fluent in the language, architecture and components that their team is building with. Code reviews and architectural leadership are part of the job. As manager, the commitment to healthy engineering practices, documentation, quality and performance optimisation are equally important technical responsibilities, as is the requirement for fair and clear management, and the obligation to ensure a high performing team.
What you’ll do
- Build and lead a team of engineers in your timezone
- Develop talent through coaching, mentoring, feedback and hands-on career development
- Demonstrate sound engineering principles and directly contribute toward your team’s goals
- Set and manage expectations with other engineering teams, management, and external stakeholders
- Lead modern, agile software development practices
- Ensure a healthy, collaborative engineering culture in line with the company values
- Be an active part of the leadership team and collaborate with other leaders in the organisation
- Build automated, highly reliable image delivery, testing and publication pipelines
- Engage with many other teams at Canonical, as well as the open source community and commercial partners
- Work from home with global travel up to 15% for internal and external events
Who you are
- You love to mentor, develop and grow people, and have a track record of doing it
- You are knowledgeable and passionate about software development
- You are focused on success and the delivery of timely, high quality software
- You have experience and commitment to agile development methodologies
- You have a Bachelor’s or equivalent in Computer Science, STEM or similar degree
- Software development experience in Python or Golang
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
- Practical experience with at least one of Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud, or AWS
To apply for this job please visit boards.greenhouse.io.