Website International Rescue Committee
About the job
Job Title: Finance Assistant
Employment Category: Regular
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
Location: Mubi, Nigeria
Background/IRC Summary: The International Rescue Committee, one of the world’s largest humanitarian agencies, provides relief, rehabilitation, and post-conflict reconstruction support to victims of natural disaster, oppression, and violent conflict in over 40 countries. The IRC is committed to bold leadership, innovation, and creative partnerships. Active in public health, education, livelihoods, women’s empowerment, youth development, and protection and promotion of rights, IRC assists people from harm to home.
IRC entered Nigeria in October 2012 in response to a widespread flood disaster. Since then, the IRC has expanded its scope and size of the programs as new areas became accessible after prolonged conflict and insecurity, in Adamawa, Borno and Yobe States. The IRC is currently exploring interventions in the Northwest.
The Finance Assistant is to assist the Finance officer by managing the day-to-day operations of the Finance Department, responsible for Cash processing and record keeping of the day-to-day transactions in accordance with IRC policy and procedures. Specific responsibilities are as follows.
- To assist the Finance Officer in ensuring that timely and accurate payments are made into integra systems.
- Ensure accuracy and completeness of payment documents in compliance to IRC and Donor policies and procedure.
- Coordinate with district teams for advance issuance and their timely adjustment of advances & Training’s documentation.
- Ensure completeness of supporting documents in all respect which includes authenticity of signatures, cross-checking attendance sheets and verifying payments to be made in integra system.
- Posting all vouchers into transaction spreadsheet on daily basis for review by the Finance Officer. Ensure that all information in the spreadsheet is correct and complete.
- Processing of petty cash transactions on daily basis. Ensure petty cash is replenished on time to meet daily cash needs. Carry out cash count as per the IRC policy and schedule. Document the cash count sheets for records.
- Prepare all payments and make sure that they are properly coded and supported with relevant necessary documents.
- Assist Finance office in monthly bank & account reconciliation.
- Ensure all the financial documents are properly filed & numbered in Box.
- ‘Paid’ stamping of all the invoices and related documents before filing.
- Ensure timely preparation of tax & deposit into bank.
- Visit Bank for necessary collection & submission of financial documents.
- Good knowledge of Account payable and receivable processes
- Monthly processing of PAYE and WHT e-ticket for remittance
- Ensuring monthly collection of PAYES and WHT receipt and filing it
- Perform any other task assigned by the line manager.
- Act always in accordance with local law and standards of accounting practice.
- Review budget with the aim of gaining a clear understanding of budget guidelines and instructions.
- Review funding allocations to enable proper guidance to programs and proper coding.
- Provide training to program staff on finance issues.
- Produce monthly and quarterly reports to be reviewed by your supervisor.
Key Working Relationships
- Position Reports to: Finance Officer
- Position directly supervises: None
- Indirect Reporting: Finance Coordinator
- HND or bachelor’s degree in accounting from a recognized College / Institutions.
- A minimum of one (2) years of accounting experience.
- Able to work in a high-pressure situation,
- Ability to independently organize work, prioritize task and manage time.
- Strong inter-personal skills, and open to learn new skills, Analytical skills
- Self-motivated, honest, highly responsible, and punctual
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, fluent in written and spoken English.
Computer/Other Tech Requirements
- Full professional competency in Microsoft Office Suite, especially Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint. (Accounting software ERP Dynamic 365, statistical software, etc.).
- Standards of Professional Conduct:
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in the IRC Way – Code of Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Harassment-Free Workplace, Fiscal Integrity, Anti-Retaliation, Combating Trafficking in Persons, and several others.
Gender EqualityIRC is committed to narrowing the gender gap in leadership positions. We offer benefits that provide an enabling environment for women to participate in our workforce including parental leave, gender-sensitive security protocols and other supportive benefits and allowances. Working
IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. IRC considers all applicants based on merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
To apply for this job please visit rescue.csod.com.