Head of Mobile Engineering
As our Head of Mobile Engineering, you’ll lay out the technical strategy and architecture to enable multiple teams to deliver new mobile features for our users. This means you’ll be responsible for supporting delivery across a number of teams and, setting expectations for code quality and performance for the mobile job family. As a technical leader within the company, you’ll set the mobile platform roadmap to optimize delivery velocity and quality for all of the teams delivering client code. Additionally:
- You’ll manage a mobile engineering team that will support mobile development across the company.
- You’ll set the quality bar for code and design for our mobile developers and recruit superlative engineers as we grow.
- Working with the engineers and the broader engineering leadership, you’ll set the mobile architecture for the company.
- Mentor and provide feedback for engineers both on your team and across the company.
- Improve our development practices so we can better deliver for our users. This includes but isn’t limited to accelerating the time to ship new features and improving our quality so we ship fewer bugs.
About the Engineering Team:
- The engineering team is made up of ~40 backend, mobile, data science, test, cloud, and data engineers spread across 8 teams. Most teams have a variety of skills so they can execute on their team objectives independently. We’re spread across North America, South America, Europe, and Africa.
- Engineering and Product work closely to meet and exceed our users’ expectations around experience and service quality.
- We endeavor to keep teams autonomous and focused on their mission with respect to our overall product offering. Where there are cross-team dependencies we try to eliminate them.
- You have significant hands-on experience developing apps for both iOS and Android.
- You’ve delivered apps to a large user base.
- You have experience leading teams of engineers and working with multiple stakeholders. This team will support multiple development teams; comfort in working with engineering and product leads is a hard requirement.
- You’re entrepreneurial — you’ll need to prioritize and make tradeoffs frequently. Having good judgment and knowing what to focus on versus what to drop is crucial to your success.
- You’re comfortable scaling both people and processes.
- A willingness to travel 4 weeks/year
- Have been a part of a rapidly growing engineering organization and have experienced (and hopefully helped to solve!) the challenges that come with growth.
- Have experience building, working with and supporting diverse teams
- Have Fintech experience, specifically in the new account space (i.e. dealing with risk and compliance issues when booking new accounts)
- You’ve lead Engineering Managers.
- You have a familiarity with and willingness to explore emerging technologies with an eye to increasing the quality or speed of what we deliver for our users.
- Have deployed apps across multiple languages.
- Managed distributed engineers across timezones and continents.
You might be a good fit if you:
- Are a self-starter, take initiative, self-manage and require little day-to-day direction to be successful
- Take responsibility for the outcomes of your core duties
- Are passionate about achieving Sendwave’s mission and are excited at the prospect of lowering remittance costs for diaspora communities.
- Our company is 100% remote. You can be based anywhere in the the United States, Canada, United Kingdom, France, Germany, Belgium, Poland, Kenya, Rwanda, Senegal or South Africa. We will consider contractors in countries not listed on a case-by-case basis.
- We have quarterly retreats – in 2019 we went to Montreal (Canada), Dakar (Senegal), Puerto Rico, and Burlington, VT (USA).
- This is a permanent position
- Major benefits:
- Subsidized health insurance and retirement contribution matching (both vary from country-to-country)
- 26 weeks fully paid parental leave and subsidized fertility assistance
- Unlimited vacation with a 20-day minimum requirement
- $10,000 annual charitable donation matching
- Our team of over 400 employees are fully distributed across the world— working from coffee shops, homes, and coworking spaces — making us one of the larger fully distributed growth-stage startups in the world.
- We are proud parents, community organizers, farmers, play in bands, teach yoga , moonlight as YouTube influencers, are former Olympians, and serial entrepreneurs.
- We collectively speak over twenty languages, including Akuapem, Amharic, Bengali, Ewe, Fante, Ga, Igbo, Kalenjin, Luganda, Oromo, Somali, Swahili and Wolof.
- We recently joined forces with WorldRemit, another remittance company, and we’re excited about the ways we can continue to provide the best service to our users.
To apply for this job, click here --> bit.ly.