Instructor, Backend Engineering
As an AltSchool Africa Facilitator, you will take the lead in the facilitation of real-time, web-based learning related to specific and assigned learning tracks. You will be responsible for students’ positive learning experience by providing operational, teaching, and technical support to students while ensuring a high level of engagement and interactivity.
You will also ensure that students understand concepts taught in the curriculum, guide project work and be proactive in assisting students, making sure they have an understanding of what they should be working on, ensuring the correct principles are being learned and applied towards the accomplishment of their project goals.
To be successful in this role, you are a software engineer knowledgeable about industry trends in web development and backend engineering, you are capable of bringing the learning experience to life, through the sharing of your own personal/industry experience and the use of educational/facilitation tools and techniques.
You have what it takes to manage online learning platforms, you love research and are open to learning new topics within our course curriculum. You enjoy wearing multiple hats, working on projects involving a variety of people across different functions and your love for people development will be very helpful in inspiring our students to move through the challenges of learning a new skill set.
What you will be doing
- Teach AltSchool Africa’s Backend Engineering track, with focus on (Node.js, Python, Golang, Ruby)
- Assist in reviewing and identifying existing learning resources/content for curation as per the course specific needs.
- Lead the delivery and facilitation of course content; in-class exercises, project coordination, and participate in lecture discussions
- Prepare students for success by providing coaching in all aspects of their journey towards becoming critical thinkers and problem solvers
- Support AltSchool Africa’s data-driven model by tracking student’ access to the LMS
- Answer content-related questions submitted by students; provide live summaries and recaps of learning material
- Create relevant learning content, documents, or practice activities e.g slides, instructional aid, games/role play, quizzes, assignments, quizzes.
- Support students’ learning by facilitating and monitoring online discussions
- Monitor students’ engagement, provide online student support including feedback on their performance.
- Respond to student queries on certain technical issues, related to assignments, grades and connectivity.
- Coordinate and track the course enrolment and participation process, viewing course logs, being able to determine which students are enrolled in the online course, and know how to add and drop students from the course.
- Conduct code reviews; grading class exercises, projects and publish assessment feedback after grading is complete.
- Follow industry trends related to Backend Engineering and keep student updated with relevant industry information
- Generate appropriate reports student metrics to document the learning experience
What we are looking for
- 3+ years of professional work experience as a Software engineer
- A strong understanding of one or more of these Technologies: Node.js, Python, Golang, Ruby
- Teaching or mentoring experience: Working or volunteering at tech bootcamps, training schools, experience as a tutor, mentor or an online instructor are all great experiences.
- Fluent in English – It’s the language we teach in
- Familiarity with online teaching, Learning Management System (LMS) or content management system (CMS)
- Ability to explain complex topics in a non-technical way.
- A Love for the fast-paced culture with the ability to self organise and manage your work
- A love of software development and a passion for growing the careers of a new generation of software engineers
- Strong technical and information literacy skills
- Comfortable with communicating to large and small groups of people and have a desire to guide students in an empathetic manner.
- Prepared to share personal insight in the industry and profession with students
- Confident in recording feedback videos for students
- Able to learn on the fly
To apply for this job please click on -> hire.peoplehum.com.