Stears is a fast-growing, digital information startup dedicated to solving the information & data gap in Africa. We are a team of 25+ people working together across multiple products and services to set the new standard for data & information on the continent.
- Stears Business is our business publication enabling curious readers to understand the economy.
- Stears Data is our data analytics & research division, which collates, stores and distributes high-quality data on the macroeconomy, healthcare and financial services.
This Managing Editor role is focused on Stears Business.
What is the role: Stears Business is on a journey to produce the gold standard of news analysis, data and information on the continent. As Managing Editor, you will be expected to support, and in many cases, lead this growth through the newsroom.
Why it’s important: The newsroom is the engine of analysis, intellectual rigour and critical thinking at Stears Business. It is central to the success of Stears Business. This Managing Editor role will have high visibility and high impact at the company. You will be responsible for building out a team of analysts to produce the best analysis & storytelling that informs our subscribers.
What it covers: As the Managing Editor for Stears Business, you will be responsible for the:
- Editorial process and management of analysts in the team
- Management of the operations process of the editorial team
- Supervision of key public or open data initiatives
Even larger opportunities: The Managing Editor will be responsible for managing key public data initiatives for Stears such as the Election Centre or COVID index. As our public data initiatives are still in the early stages, the Managing Editor will be able to determine the strategic direction of our initiatives.
Who you will work with: This role is part of the Editorial team, reporting to the Editor in Chief. You will be responsible for a team of 6 analysts in the newsroom. In addition to working with the core team of analysts, you will work with many internal stakeholders, including the, CEO, Head of Growth, Head of Product Customer Success, Marketing, and Analytics. You will also interact with the Chief Economist who oversees the research and analytics team at Stears Data.
We are looking for someone with:
- At least 3 years of experience as an economist or economic researcher
- A solid understanding of macroeconomic and microeconomic concepts, basic regulation, and familiarity with a range of public policy issues
- Interest in producing analysis across a range of sectors with different lenses or themes
- Experience leading research teams
- A willingness and interest to dig into markets, economies and business models
- Excellent written and spoken command of English
- Excellent people’s skills and good emotional intelligence
- A creative mindset to identify interesting and in-depth stories
The Managing Editor will be responsible for the following key areas;
- Editorial and Research
- Write and rigorously edit analytical content on the economy & business from analysts in the editorial team
- Define content and analysis strategy by identifying sectors, markets & business models for analysts to cover
- Support the Editor in Chief & Knowledge Editor with training & economic expertise
- Act as a public face by making public appearances and contributing to economic policy via engagement with media, regulators and industry operators.
- Lead the day to day operations to ensure operational effectiveness across ideation, research, analysis & publishing
- Oversee the development and progress of the newsroom content calendar
- Work with the Social and Community editor to engage with our subscriber community
- Collaborate with the marketing and growth teams to monitor and optimise key metrics on content performance and subscriber targets
- Strategy and product development
- Understand the information and analysis needs of our subscribers
- Collaborate with the Editor in Chief to define the strategic direction of the newsroom, new sector coverage and entry into new markets
- Support the Editor in Chief in developing the strategy and vision on people, training and content
- Contribute to growing and improving Stears Business features and product
- Employee share options – As a senior member of the team, you are entitled to payment in equity as part of your compensation package
- Flexible working (office or remote) as you require
- Brand-new projects to work on. Stears Business is currently working on new products and features across multiple channels and in different sectors. The company is deepening its expertise on the digital economy and also preparing to relaunch its election centre
- The Stears Experience – Here are some of the top reasons people report having the best experience of their careers at Stears:
- Experience personal growth on your way to mastery through tough challenges and rewarding experiences
- Gain a high level of autonomy and responsibility by taking on a senior role in our high trust startup environment and relatively flat organisational hierarchy
- Do something meaningful by being part of a team making African data & information more widely available
As a Managing Editor in the team, you can also expect:
- An emphasis on training and upskilling to be better every day
- Comprehensive health insurance
- Paid time off including vacation & sick days
- Regular access to the minds & people working in Stears Data
To apply for this job please click on -> stears.bamboohr.com.