Website Amaka Studio
AMAKA is a digital multimedia publisher dedicated to developing content for women, by women from Africa and the African diaspora. AMAKA aims to fill the gap by adopting a digital-first, multidisciplinary and cross-cultural approach to content creation, storytelling, and editorial production, offering our audience with purposeful and insightful stories that represent various African and Afro-diasporic female communities. We serve the vision and voice of the modern African woman.
We are looking for a full-time Politics and Society Editor to join our friendly, hard-working and ambitious editorial team. The Politics and Society Editor will be responsible for ideating/contributing stories, commissioning writers, and editing. You will also be expected to research/lead editorial broadcast programmes, as well as regularly write/contribute news briefs and longer-form features.
An ideal candidate must have the following:
● At least five years of experience working in editorial either as an editor or sub-editor.
● Encyclopedic knowledge of current affairs, politics, social issues, human rights and trends in Africa and across the African diaspora, particularly focusing on women, girls and children.
● Sharp editorial skills in writing and sub-editing and an acute eye for detail.
● Highly process-oriented and very well-organized, with a strong ability to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines.
● A natural leader.
● First-class communication skills with a natural ability to work collaboratively within the team and with external contacts or talent.
● A flexible and positive attitude especially when facing changing priorities and
● Commissioning experience is desired.
● Strong multimedia journalism skills across video, audio, experiential and social.
● Comfortability working in a fast-paced startup environment.
● The ability to write and edit French content is preferred but not essential.
● Lead and ensure the Politics and Society content pillar is updated on a consistent basis.
● Editing news stories and features from writers/contributors in accordance with the established procedures and standards outlined in AMAKA’s editorial style guide, AP style guide and SEO guidance document.
● Ideate/contribute news stories and features to the Politics and Society content pillar.
● Guide, support, commission and assign news stories and features to writers/contributors.
● Regularly write breaking news stories/news briefs and long-form articles (e.g. critical essays).
● Support/Lead with research and building contacts with people and talent on the continent and across the diaspora for editorial broadcast programmes.
● Work collaboratively with the Editor-in-Chief and Managing Editor to ensure AMAKA’s editorial direction of the content pillars and broadcast editorial programmes are successfully and efficiently delivered.
● Keep up-to-date with the latest current affairs, politics, social issues, human rights and trends in Africa and across the African diaspora.
● Provide support and guidance with regard to social media, marketing, PR and design.
● Ensure compliance with best practices and standards in journalism.
Please forward your CV along with a cover letter to email@example.com
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org