Website International Rescue Committee
Requisition ID: req43577
Job Title: Procurement Assistant
Sector: Supply Chain
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
Location: Maiduguri, Nigeria
The International Rescue Committee responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, IRC offers life-saving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in more than 40 countries and in 22 U.S. cities, IRC restores safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted by conflict or disaster. IRC leads the way from harm to home.
The IRC has been present in Nigeria since 2012 when the organization responded to flooding in Kogi state. In February 2014 the IRC moved into Adamawa State in NE Nigeria to provide humanitarian interventions through a multi-sectoral, integrated approach for conflict affected populations. IRC Nigeria now operates a country office in Abuja and field offices in Mubi and Yola of Adamawa State, Maiduguri and Monguno of Borno state and Damaturu of Yobe State. Currently, IRC Nigeria implements programs primary health care, nutrition, environmental health, women’s protection and empowerment, protection, child protection, education, food security & livelihoods.
The Procurement Assistant is responsible for assisting the Procurement Officer with efficient coordination and management of procurement functions for IRC’s office. Supply Chain must be able to rapidly procure Program supplies, services, and equipment, whilst ensuring best practices and maintaining audit-compliant records. The Procurement Assistant ensures that all purchases of goods and services are done transparently, at the best available price, and in compliance with IRC and donor procurement policy and procedures.
- The Procurement Assistant is responsible for working closely with Procurement Officers, Senior Procurement Manager, internal and external stakeholders to ensure effective procurement planning and preparation to support program implementation. Supply chain planning includes –
- Preparing and implementing procurement plans
- Implementing all IRC procurement SOPs
- Collecting, organizing, and analyzing data
- Monitor supply market and conduct market surveys & analysis.
- Support with implementing procurement plan & strategies and ensures all program procurement needs are met on time in accordance with GSC and donors’ standards. This includes: –
- Support in development of procurement specifications – Processing approved Purchase request through the procurement software (online BVA) and ensuring data accuracy.
- Request for quotations / proposals.
- Participate in tender meetings & evaluations.
- Prepare bids analysis and other bidding documents for approval.
- Conduct negotiations with suppliers that is transparent and documented.
- Demonstrate value for money in procurement.
- Preparing and executing contracts for recommended bidders
- Timely renewal of running contracts.
- Execute contracts against set performance indicators
- Responsible for managing contracts and supplier performance to ensure that terms & conditions, standard operating procedures are adhered to as provided by GSC.
- Support with managing supplier relationships and performance to ensure that there is precise record keeping as provided by GSC. This includes: –
- Maintain suppliers file and documentation
- Documents supplier performance
- Maintain supplier performance score cards.
Compliance and Ethics
- Assist in implementing donor rules & regulations for all procurements (including any specific departmental procurement task assigned), Identifying and analyzing compliance risk in procurement processes through: –
- Implementing due diligence for suppliers, this includes conducting reference checks, supplier visits etc.
- Provide consistent and constructive support to other departments to ensure compliance with policies and procedures
- identifying and reporting procurement red flags,
- Implementing internal and external audit corrective action plans (CAPs)
- Support with developing and updating the procurement plans (assigned) as required.
- Submit weekly list of internal and external commitments (PR-PO Tracker) to Procurement Officer
- Submit periodic BVA procurement tracking report for specific Grants you’re assigned to.
- Periodic sharing of non-active PO to technical team for cancellation.
- Be an ambassador of IRC ‘s way as a standard for professional conduct.
Key Working Relationships:
- Internal: Regular relationships with program staff, Operations, and country Supply Chain staff at all levels
- External: Vendors and Service providers.
Position Technically Reports to Procurement Officer, Maiduguri .
Indirect Reporting: Senior Procurement Manager
Position directly Supervises: Casuals and Interns
Key Internal Contacts:
Country Program: Nigeria
Region/Global: West Africa
Key External Contacts:
Contractors and Service providers
Education: Relevant Advance diploma in Business Administration OR and diploma in Supply Chain – Procurement Management
Work Experience: Approximately 2-3years of professional experience procurement staff
Demonstrated Technical Skills:
- Knowledge of generic procurement procedures and practices (IRC or NGO experience).
- Demonstrated success as a procurement leader within supply chain including planning, procurement, and logistics
- Good collaborator and influencer with effective interpersonal and analytical skills who is able to work seamlessly across cultures, organizational units and suppliers.
- Knowledge and experience in procurement plans, strategies, market analysis techniques, procurement and contracting
- Good analytical and negotiation skills
- Excellent skills in conducting market analysis and sourcing strategies.
- Able to work effectively in a highly matrixed structure
- Good mathematical skills.
Languages: English, Hausa and Kanuri will be an added advantage.
Computer/Other Tech Requirements:
Full professional competency in Microsoft Office Suite, especially Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint.
Standards of Professional Conduct the IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in the IRC Way – Code of Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Harassment-Free Workplace, Fiscal Integrity, Anti-Retaliation, Combating Trafficking in Persons, and several others.
Gender Equality: IRC is committed to narrowing the gender gap in leadership positions. We offer benefits that provide an enabling environment for women to participate in our workforce including parental leave, gender-sensitive security protocols and other supportive benefits and allowances.
Working Environment: The position will be based in Maiduguri, Borno Office.
IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. IRC considers all applicants based on merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
People Living with disability and women are strongly encouraged to apply.
FEMALE CANDIDATES ARE STRONGLY ADVISED TO APPLY
To apply for this job please visit rescue.csod.com.