Senior Backend Engineer, Engineering Scalability
At Hotjar, we’re creating Product Experience Insights software for digital product teams. We help show how users behave and what they feel strongly about, so product teams can deliver real value, fast.
We’re looking for an enthusiastic and resourceful software engineer, passionate about building Hotjar foundational systems and infrastructure, someone who loves being part of a team, whilst enjoying the autonomous nature of working remotely.
Working as part of a fully remote squad in the Engineering Enablement tribe, your role will be centered around engineering core systems to serve the scaling needs of our product. We are looking for people with strong software engineering fundamentals and experienced with Python, familiar with high throughput backend services, distributed architectures. Hotjar tech stack is heavily reliant on AWS and Kubernetes, and most of our code is written in Python.
We use Kafka as a message broker, Traefik as our Ingress and a lot of different storage systems (Postgres, Redis, Clickhouse, Elasticsearch). As part of this role you will be exposed to a lot of the infrastructure our platform and product is based on.
What you will do:
- Own backend services end to end, from creating the first RFC to supporting them in production
- Create a platform for backend services, by leveraging our existing stack (Traefik proxy, Kafka, Kubernetes) or by introducing new ideas and models for fast onboarding and iteration
- Dive into event-based architecture patterns and abstract them to make it easy to adopt our message bus stack
- Optimize the way we distribute backend tasks using messaging queues – Celery is our default now
- Help product squads in an hands-on way when extracting or creating new backend services
- Create documentation and guidelines for our standards, so teams can understand what’s running under the hood and how to debug or perform fast experiments with their services
- Leverage your expertise to provide feedback during code reviews or in RFC documents and design proposals
- 5+ years background in building and maintaining high throughput web services or backend systems
- 5+ years demonstrable experience with Python
- Familiar with the use of databases and message brokers/queues at scale – PostgreSQL, Redis, ClickHouse, Kafka, RabbitMQ are some of the main technologies we use
- Familiar with public cloud infrastructure – we deploy everything on AWS, but if you have experience with GCP or Azure that’s fine too.
- Experience with Linux and system programming a big plus
- Desire to work in a respectful, transparent, and collaborative work environment, following Hotjar’s company values, culture and ways of working.
- Must submit to a background check confidentially processed by our third-party.
To apply for this job please visit boards.eu.greenhouse.io.