Senior Brand Strategist
The Wikimedia Foundation seeks a collaborative and creative brand thinker to help chart the future of some of the world’s most beloved brands: Wikipedia and other Wikimedia brands. Reporting to the Senior Global Brand Manager, the Brand Strategist will join the Wikimedia Foundation brand studio, a special creative and strategic innovation team that is responsible for brand strategy, planning, and enablement across the Wikimedia movement. They will closely collaborate with Communications department staff across marketing, insights, media strategy, public relations, and movement communications to contribute to integrated campaigns that advance awareness and understanding of Wikimedia work and free knowledge projects globally.
Guided by the Wikimedia mission and 2030 strategy, you will take the lead in future-proofing our brands by creating hardworking brand solutions for foundation teams, partners, and volunteers and creating inspiring brand platforms to help Wikipedia authentically show up in the culture.
You are responsible for:
- You will work closely with the Senior Global Brand Manager to enact Wikimedia Movement brand strategies
- You will own strategy workstreams and strategy-setting projects end-to-end leveraging expert inputs from senior leaders, peers, and insights from outside the department
- You will be a strategic thinking partner to Wikimedia: Foundation teams, partners, and volunteers grappling with a brand question or wanting to support a product, program, or initiative with a brand guidance
- You will design deceptively simple future-focussed strategies to answer complex questions posed by foundation teams, partners, and volunteers
- You will draft inspiring briefs for our communications department staff to act on
- You will partner with data teams across the foundation to unearth powerful insights to inform brand positioning, planning, architecture, and marketing
- You will co-develop, improve and manage tools for measuring brand health around the world
- You will maintain a library of brand assets and materials and guidelines for foundation staff, volunteers, and partners around the world to use
- You will educate volunteers, partners, and collaborators on the correct usage of brand materials
- You will review and respond to requests that make use of the brand
- You will work to ensure initiatives across the Foundation are brand-aligned
Skills and Experience:
- Min 5 years experience shaping the narratives of global brands
- You have deep knowledge of the markets you reside in or have worked extensively in
- You are fluent in primary and secondary research practices as well as multiple strategy disciples (innovation, comms planning & digital, naming and brand architecture to name a few)
- Professional proficiency in another language other than English is a plus
Qualities that are important to us:
- You can connect the dots between disparate (socio-cultural) signals in the world and apply these to solve our toughest brand questions
- You always question the brief but this doesn’t stop you from taking decisive action and delivering impactful work
- You are an open, internally motivated, and tenacious team player who works with humility and action
About the Wikimedia Foundation
The Wikimedia Foundation is the nonprofit organization that operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge freely. We host Wikipedia and the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive.
The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive donations from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
As an equal opportunity employer, the Wikimedia Foundation values having a diverse workforce and continuously strives to maintain an inclusive and equitable workplace. We encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply. We do not discriminate against any person based upon their race, traits historically associated with race, religion, color, national origin, sex, pregnancy or related medical conditions, parental status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, or any other legally protected characteristics.
If you are a qualified applicant requiring assistance or accommodation to complete any step of the application process due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com or (415) 839-6885.
U.S. Benefits & Perks*
- Health Care Benefits Covered at 100%: We cover 100% of premiums for medical, dental, and vision plans for all full-time employees and eligible dependents
- Wellness Reimbursement Program: Up to 1,800.00 USD per year for reimbursement for staff wellness expenses, such as gym fees, educational expenses, and more
- Technology and Equipment Stipend: In addition to receiving a brand new laptop, monitor, & docking station, all new hires receive a 600.00 USD stipend to set up their space for working virtually
- Professional Development Program: Up to 750.00 USD reimbursement per year to encourage continuous learning through attending conferences, courses, workshops, and the purchase of educational materials
- 401(k) Retirement Plan: Employer match of up to 4% of employee contributions dollar for dollar with no vesting period
- Paid Time Off Generous paid time off policy of over 45 days, which includes: vacation days, at least one observed holiday a month, sick leave, and volunteer days
- Flexible Schedules: Options available to balance your personal and remote-work life
- Silent Fridays: No scheduled meetings so you can get caught up at the end of each week
- New Parent Leave: Fully paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, and flexible options as you embark on your return to work
- Fertility and Adoption Reimbursement Plan: Reimburses staff up to 5,000.00 USD in expenses per year, with a lifetime maximum of 10,000.00 USD
- Assistance for those unexpected life events: Long and short term disability, life insurance, and an employee assistance program
- Pre-tax Savings Plans: Generously funded health savings accounts (HSAs), pre-tax contribution options for health care, child care & elder care, public transportation, and parking expenses
*Please note that for remote roles located outside of the U.S., we defer to our PEO to ensure alignment with local labor laws.
To apply for this job please click on -> boards.greenhouse.io.