Senior Business Information Analyst
Location is flexible.
A quick look at the role
This is a brand new high profile role within the Municipal Division and an exciting opportunity to shape and influence the business performance.
Reporting to the Directors you will manage the planning, scope, execution and delivery of multiple BI projects to deliver high quality, meaningful and useful information products, which are used by the business, valued by customers and transform commercial outcomes.
You will act as the Municipal lead within the Group BI team, and through building trust and developing collaborative relationships, will effectively manage stakeholders and their expectations.
You will work closely with the Group BI team that will support you functionally.
The Biffa division you’ll be supporting
Biffa’s Municipal division delivers a range of cost-efficient, quality-led waste management services for 31 local authorities across the UK. With revenue of £220m, 3,300 staff and 1,500 specialist vehicles, our domestic waste management division makes 4.3 million collections each week from over 2.3 million households across Britain.
Why it’s an opportunity not to be wasted
- Develop, design and prepare management reports, dashboards and analysis for all levels of management across the Division to drive additional value.
- Liaise with business teams to develop innovative/ creative solutions to help solve issues or identify opportunities and adding value for the business. This includes being up to date with technological innovation, software updates and industry best practice.
- Ensure reports are effectively used to be able to drive additional value, including training of end users where beneficial and monitoring usage of dashboards and BI reports.
- Work collaboratively with the wider business to define the measurements of the strategic objectives and support the long-term business strategy.
- Present the results of analysis projects to stakeholders and senior management, highlighting business critical issues and opportunities, making the case for how they impact the wider business.
- Production of new BI products and data streams within agreed parameters and service levels.
- Act as a technical specialist within the Muni Division and mentor, support and advise other Divisional team members as appropriate. This includes taking responsibility for the outputs that are produced under their supervision.
Which accountabilities account for most of their time?
- Development of MI/BI reports.
- Management of key Reporting projects from design to implementation and undertaking project work.
What planning horizons / timescales are typical?
- Development of MI/BI reports – up to 12 months in advance depending on the size of the project.
- Management of key MI projects – up to eighteen months in advance.
What is the specialist, technical and managerial substance of the job?
- The job requires a specialist knowledge of MI products e.g. MicroStrategy, Power BI, Source Systems (e.g. ERP, Financial, HR, Safety) and other databases and BI applications and the way that they relate to each other and exchange data.
- The role holder will be required to liaise with developers and BI architects on a highly technical level, whilst also relating to the business users in a business analyst style.
How could the complexity of the job challenges be best described?
- The job involves all the complexity of managing a project and deliverables.
- Understanding and overcoming the complexity of the multiple instances of BI and other software and the complex dependencies and flows of data between them in order to maximise efficiency, capability and opportunity.
- The post holder needs an excellent grasp of intermediate statistics and computed code to design and develop innovative and accurate solutions from which strategic business decisions can be made.
What are the key internal and external interfaces in the role?
- Internal stakeholders: MD / Director level regularly.
- External: Information suppliers, local authority customers and commercial customers.
Here’s what we require
- Accreditation in a recognised BI tool e.g. MicroStrategy or Microsoft certification.
- Degree level qualification.
- Azure Certification(s) Experience.
- Microsoft Power BI reporting.
- To have used, to an advanced level, at least one Business Intelligence tool that used a data warehouse.
- Good mathematical understanding.
- At least three years’ experience in a business-facing analytical role.
- Proven experience and success leading and delivering MI/BI projects • Good working knowledge of Microsoft Office.
- Experience probing, querying, eliciting, interpreting and documenting business requirements.
- Experience of producing and presenting complex and detailed data analysis to a non-technical audience.
- Kimball data warehousing or dimensional modelling
- MS Dynamics experience (building or modifying reports) or having used the application
- Advanced MS Excel.
And here’s why you’ll love it at Biffa
- Competitive salary and benefits package.
- Ongoing career development, training and coaching – because if you don’t grow, we don’t grow.
- In-depth onboarding programme
- Generous pension scheme.
- Medical scheme.
- Retail and leisure discounts.
- Holiday and travel discounts.
- Bike to work scheme.
Changing the way people think about waste
At Biffa, we love working with waste. Whether we’re turning it into sustainable power, finding new ways to recycle it or simply keeping it off the streets, we believe every day is an opportunity to improve the lives of millions. It’s a view that’s shared by our 10,500+ people around the country, who trust us to provide them with a career that’s always rewarding, often challenging, but never dull. And it’s why we’re the UK’s No. 1 choice for business waste management.
Dedicated to diversity
At Biffa we believe different ideas, perspective and backgrounds are key to developing a creative working environment that delivers real results. It’s why you’ll find us championing diversity and equality at every turn.
To apply for this job please visit apply.workable.com.