Job Title: Senior Payroll Accountant
We’re transforming the grocery industry
At Instacart, we invite the world to share love through food because we believe everyone should have access to the food they love and more time to enjoy it together. Where others see a simple need for grocery delivery, we see exciting complexity and endless opportunity to serve the varied needs of our community. We work to deliver an essential service that customers rely on to get their groceries and household goods, while also offering safe and flexible earnings opportunities to Instacart Personal Shoppers.
Instacart has become a lifeline for millions of people, and we’re building the team to help push our shopping cart forward. If you’re ready to do the best work of your life, come join our table.
Instacart is a Flex First team
There’s no one-size fits all approach to how we do our best work. Our employees have the flexibility to choose where they do their best work—whether it’s from home, an office, or your favorite coffee shop—while staying connected and building community through regular in-person events. Learn more about our flexible approach to where we work.
Are you a data-driven and detail-oriented payroll professional? Do you like process improvement? Enjoy transforming data into something that impacts employees positively?
About the Role:
This role will have a heavy focus on analytics and reporting and is responsible for payroll accounting month-end close, year-end preparation, quarterly payroll tax filing, jurisdictional compliance and data accuracy, and reconciliation across systems. We are looking for a data-driven payroll expert with a keen attention to detail to help drive process improvement and maintain compliance.
About the Team:
At Instacart, our Payroll team embodies a harmonious blend of hard work and fun. As a team, we understand the value of a vibrant work culture. We work diligently while also knowing how to enjoy ourselves, fostering a positive and dynamic environment. Each day, we bring our dedication to our roles and infuse the workplace with a sense of joy and camaraderie, ensuring that our team not only succeeds but thrives.
About the Job
- Maintain data accuracy between and reconciliation of all payroll-related systems (including but not limited to payroll processing and wage funding, tax filing, garnishment, accounting, and equity systems)
- Perform testing and assist with the implementation of tools, systems, and enhancements as needed
- Partner cross-functionally to compile data for various benefits and compliance audits
- Serve as point person for and preparer of all payroll-related ad hoc reporting requests
- Responsible for timely and accurate posting of all payroll-related journal entries for month-end close and reconciliation of payroll-owned GL accounts in accordance with the organizations’ month-end close schedule, policies, and procedures
- Prepare fluctuation analysis and comments for financial package on payroll-related accounts
- Research and resolve complicated payroll issues at both the employee and company level
- Assist with year-end statement preparation and tax filing
- Balance quarterly payroll data in Workday to payroll tax returns and GL
- Serve as subject matter expert and/or point of escalation for members of the payroll processing team as needed. Payroll processing may sometimes be required
- Maintain GL mapping accuracy between various payroll processing systems and Oracle accounting system
- At least 3 years of payroll-related experience, international payroll is a plus
- Experience with and understanding of payroll accounting and how payroll expenses translate to the general ledger
- In-depth knowledge of state and federal payroll and tax regulations
- Hands-on experience with various payroll software (Workday preferred)
- Intermediate to advanced Excel skill level (knowledge of vlookups, pivots tables, sumifs required)
- Excellent analytical skills and high attention to detail, very strong reconciliation skills required
- The ability to work in a high-growth environment under tight deadlines
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to multitask, manage time, and accept changing priorities
- Team player with excellent customer service and communication skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- BS in Accounting, Finance, or relevant field a plus
- CPA a PLUS
Instacart provides highly market-competitive compensation and benefits in each location where our employees work. This role is remote and the base pay range for a successful candidate is dependent on their permanent work location. Please review our Flex First remote work policy here.
Offers may vary based on many factors, such as candidate experience and skills required for the role. Additionally, this role is eligible for a new hire equity grant as well as annual refresh grants. Please read more about our benefits offerings here.
For US based candidates, the base pay ranges for a successful candidate are listed below.
To apply for this job please visit instacart.careers.