Job Title: Officer, Communications
Who We Are
KwaraLEARN (Leading Education Achievement and Reform Now) is a core new education programme by the Government of Kwara State to deliver dramatic improvements in learning outcomes in public schools for all children across Kwara State.
KwaraLEARN will transform all government primary schools across the state into powerful public schools using an innovative technology and data-driven platform, coupled with high-quality learning materials, effective training and ongoing coaching for teachers and school leaders, and technology-enabled support teams to create 360-degree support for learning outcomes.
Working for the technical implementing partner for the programme, you will work towards preparing Kwara and its youth for a bright future with a strong educational foundation. Being part of this transformative programme will be a challenging but fulfilling experience. You will have the opportunity to impact young lives and help build the future of Kwara and Nigeria.
The programme is one of the most exciting and ambitious education programmes not only in Nigeria, but also across Africa. A quality education has the power to transform the opportunities for Kwara’s youth and the State. In joining us, you will join a group of dynamic and passionate Nigerians taking concrete action to help ensure a better future for the children of Kwara.
The Corporate Affairs group is the eyes, ears and public face of the organisation. It leads on strategy and is responsible for influencing and strengthening the internal and external landscapes that surrounds and impacts NewGlobe and its growing portfolio. The Corporate Affairs group is responsible for the public reputation of NewGlobe and its programmes, creating environments that support programmatic growth through engaging with stakeholders, influencing policy making and designing impactful communications.
The Corporate Affairs strategy is based upon a deep understanding, and awareness of, national and global trends, policies, regulatory changes and current affairs. It leads the overall strategic direction and implementation of initiatives and strategies across multiple channels, audiences and geographies.
The Corporate Affairs group always takes both a national and global perspective and is highly attuned to the nuances of frequently evolving politics and policy issues. Its work is based upon both an in depth understanding of NewGlobe, its programmes and the broader global and national education landscapes in which it operates. Through this, it devices strategies that connects NewGlobe’s programming with a diverse, and ever-expanding set of stakeholders.
The Communications team is housed with the Corporate Affairs group. It collaborates across departments and programmes to create and execute compelling strategies; locally and globally.
Communications has a wide portfolio of responsibilities including external and internal relations, advocacy, strategy, digital, reputation management and media relations. We are focused on ensuring that the exceptional achievements being made across a wide portfolio of programming are effectively and impactfully communicated.
We lead, develop and support strategies in multiple programmes and continents simultaneously; shaping and influencing the external environments in which we work. We pride ourselves in being able to respond quickly and effectively at all times.
About the Role
We are looking for a proactive team player to support EKOEXCEL through external and internal communications. You will support the objectives of the program and our government partners in the creation and delivery of proactive narrative, ensuring its broad based delivery to stakeholders via multiple platforms. You will be telling the EKOEXCEL story across all channels, creating content, and strengthening our interactions.
Our ideal candidate will have a strong understanding of all mass communications channels and the ability to design content that optimises news and social media. The candidate should be capable of running digital media and handling websites. They will be an extremely effective written communicator, a planner, and creative. They should possess a keen sense of ownership and quick execution.
What You Will Do
- Build and maintain active relationships with media partners (i.e. education desk correspondents and editors, bloggers etc.)
- Monitor and report media trends and activities of EKOEXCEL, key stakeholder and key issues coverage in the media.
- Develop compelling multimedia content and collateral generated from across our EKOEXCEL schools that tell the powerful story of what EKOEXCEL does and importantly how it does what it does.
- Support management and updating of the website regularly by creating rich and engaging content.
- Support, maintain and upload digital communications to social media platforms sharing relevant content, photographs and videos on a regular basis.
- Support and build our events and public speaking platform across Lagos & Nigeria.
- Support the team in delivering the agreed departmental strategy, plans and standards.
- Carry out research through a range of sources, including the Internet, Intranet, publications and other external contacts, including government bodies, organisations and other charities, in order to obtain relevant information that can contribute to communications strategies.
- Work within short term and long-term communications plans as conveyed by the team.
- Carry out stakeholder mapping and stakeholder lists management
- Draft and produce written correspondence such as press releases, quotes, operational notes, letters, reports and other documents as required, using word processing, databases and spreadsheets to required standards.
- Undertake specific other communications projects and activities as necessary.
What You Should Have
- Minimum first degree in Communications or related field.
- 3 years experience in a core communications role (in house or agency)
- An awareness of the media and political landscape both locally and nationally.
- Understanding of state and local government public office structures.
- Ability to build and maintain stakeholder relationships within a productive working context.
- Proven ability to produce compelling material and stories for external audiences.
- Proven ability to collate, produce and edit multimedia content.
- Well-developed written and verbal communication skills to deal effectively, efficiently and appropriately with internal and external stakeholders including the media.
- Familiarity and experience of using digital editing tools such as Premier Pro, Adobe and Word Press.
- Ability to successfully influence and negotiate with individuals and achieve objectives through excellent relationships.
- Experience of collecting data from various sources, and ability to analyse and present findings clearly for internal and external communications including for press releases.
- Proven ability to prioritise and organise own workload effectively and efficiently and meet deadlines.
- Well-developed ability to work well with others as part of a team, providing support as required, and build and maintain effective working relationships.
- A detailed doer – You have a track record of getting things done. You’re organized and responsive. You take ownership of every idea you touch and execute it to a fine level of detail, setting targets, engaging others, and doing whatever it takes to get the job done. You can multi-task dozens of such projects at once and never lose sight of the details. Likely, you have some experience in a start-up or other rapid-growth company.
- A networking mastermind – You excel at meeting new people and turning them into advocates. You communicate in a clear, conscientious, and effective way in both written and oral speech. You can influence strangers in the course of a single conversation. Allies and colleagues will go to bat for your ideas. You have an existing network from prior experience in the country, preferably in the regulatory, education, or business sectors.
- A creative problem-solver – Growing any organisation or programme from scratch and at scale comes with massive and constant challenges. On top of that, NewGlobe works in often fragile, sometimes volatile low-resource communities and with complex government systems. You need to be flexible and ready to get everything done effectively, quickly, and affordably with the materials at hand.
- A relentless advocate –The children we serve and teachers we empower never leave your mind. You know them, get them, have shared a meal with them (or would be happy to in the future). You would never shrink back from shaking a parent’s hand or picking up a crying child, no matter what the person was wearing or looked like. Every decision you make considers their benefit, experience,
- A malleable learner –You believe you can always do better. You welcome constructive criticism and provide it freely to others. You know you only get better tomorrow when others point out where you’ve missed things or failed today.
- A curious investigator – You ask why a lot. You don’t just take what you see and accept it. You wonder why it is that way, and are aware that the world we see is created by human choices and actions – and it could be different. You wonder, and see the world as wonderful even when you want to change a part of it that is unjust.
To apply for this job please visit kwaralearn.ng.