Women for the Environment Africa 2023 for Women in African Conservation
From October 2022 to September 2023, twenty outstanding women in executive-level leadership positions in African conservation will come together for a year of virtual and in-person sessions to transform their own and each other’s leadership for the benefit of people, wildlife, and ecosystems across the continent and around the world.
15th August 2022
About the Award
In 2017, Women for the Environment Africa (WE Africa) was born through the determination of a small, dedicated group of women conservationists frustrated with the current model of conservation leadership. They shared a conviction that a different style of leadership with more diverse and inclusive teams and more collaboration and less competition would result in more conservation innovation and impact. This desire to “do conservation differently” led to the realization that we needed to both build a community of women conservation leaders in Africa to increase our resilience, and establish a transformational leadership course to increase our numbers at the decision-making tables.
The W.E Africa year long transformative leadership journey is for women who meet the following criteria:
- African nationals, current citizens of a country in Africa, or those who have had permanent residency in Africa for a minimum of 15 years
- A minimum of 15 years of experience working in the environmental space in government, NGO, or private sector in Africa, including at least 5 years serving in a senior leadership role*
- A commitment to investing in your personal growth and participation for the full 12-month program
- A record of mentorship and desire to support future environmental leaders
- Access to reliable internet
- Able to speak and understand English conversationally
- A commitment to: 1) contribute USD $500 toward the cost of the course to secure your place; and 2) cover your travel costs to two in-person retreats for an estimated $1,500. Together, your contribution represents approximately 15% of the course value.**
*If you do not meet the requirements from the second point above, you may provide an explanation in the application about why you believe you are eligible.
**A limited number of scholarships are available to help offset costs for selected applicants.
To be Taken at (Country)
Online and Offline (TBA)
Number of Awards
Value of Award
- Membership in a community of passionate, experienced African women who are some of the most senior leaders in conservation today
- Access to twelve months of 1:1 leadership coaching
- An opportunity to create a new leadership vision for yourself and pursue a personalized leadership plan
- Monthly online sessions to fit around your work schedule
- Two in-person retreats for intensive personal and collective growth and community-building
Duration of Award
October 2022 to September 2023
How to Apply
- It is important to go through all application requirements in the Award Webpage (see Link below) before applying.